Thanks for your interest in working with the Portland Revels.
See the listings below for details on open positions and how to apply.
Posted September 16, 2021
Background: Portland Revels celebrates the seasons and our shared humanity through song, dance, story, and ritual of the past and present, creating community across generations and cultures. Portland Revels was founded in 1994 by local theater, history and music lovers who were inspired to keep artistic traditions around the winter solstice alive at the darkest time of the year, a time when, across cultures and throughout history, humans have connected through music and dance to keep their spirits up. Each year the Christmas Revels performance focuses on cultural traditions from a different place and time. It is an enchanting, high quality music and theatre production that invites participation and inspires audiences to return year after year.
The Portland Revels organization has grown over the last 25+ years as we have developed new, original programming. In non-COVID times it includes a children’s holiday show, a community chorus and a May performance (May Revels) as well as the main stage, family-focused Christmas Revels. We offer 3-4 community pub sings annually and host other activities to expose people to different cultures and traditions.
Position: Full time
Schedule: Flexible, office coverage shared with office manager; requires occasional
weekends and evenings, seasonal variations
Office Location: Remote. Must live locally
Reports to: Board of Directors
Manages: Currently an office manager
Works closely with: Portland Revels artistic and production staff and
Portland Revels Board of Directors, volunteers.
Salary and Benefits: $60k a year, $500 monthly health care stipend, 12 paid holidays, generous paid time off and a flexible remote schedule
Portland Revels does not discriminate in its hiring and employment practices because of race, color, creed, age, national origin, religion, political affiliation, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identification, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. Studies show that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every one of the qualifications as described in a job description. If you are interested in applying, we encourage you to do so, regardless of specific qualifications.
Recruitment: Submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications due: October 1, 2021
Position summary: The Executive Director (ED) leads a small but dedicated team of staff and volunteers. The ED reports to and serves under the direction of the Portland Revels Board of Directors and is primarily responsible for the sustainability and continued growth of the Portland Revels organization, including the collaborative development and implementation of a diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) plan. The role works closely and is co-equal with the Artistic Director. It requires fundraising as well as organizational administration and leadership and has close involvement with the Revels community.
ORGANIZATION and COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT
- -Assures that the Portland Revels organization implements its strategic plan in order to achieve its vision and mission. Works with the Board to adapt and change the plan as necessary, including DEI implementation.
- -Maintains a welcoming, inclusive organizational culture that values, leverages and appreciates the skills and contributions of staff and volunteers.
- -Supports the artistic staff to welcome and orient volunteer performers.
- -Leads internal and external communication functions to develop relationships with community partners, stakeholders, donors and others to achieve the Revel’s mission.
- -Projects a professional and positive voice in the local arts and nonprofit communities and is the inclusive, engaging, friendly, upbeat, external face of Revels.
- -Ensures effective and culturally responsive communication processes that promote positive, effective connections between Revel’s staff, Board, and other stakeholders.
- -Develops written material to promote and to support the organization.
ADMINISTRATION AND FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT
- -Establishes and executes effective operational plans.
- -In collaboration with the Board, revises planning documents and examines future trends.
- -Establishes and maintains logical, user-friendly document management system.
- -Manages and maintains updated organizational databases.
- -Manages negotiation of all contracts on behalf of the Board.
- -In conjunction with the Board’s finance committee, develops the annual budget.
- -Prepares accurate rolling financial forecasts and revenue projections.
- -Provides accounting oversight, reconciliation, and ongoing budget review.
- -Ensures accurate and timely financial records and reports are provided to the Board.
- -Prudently manages the organization’s resources within budget guidelines.
- -Manages facilities/venue planning including contract negotiation.
DEVELOPMENT / FUNDRAISING and MARKETING
- -Collaborates with the development committee to resourcefully fundraise.
- -Implements development activities with staff, volunteers, and Board members.
- -Collaborates with the Board to identify and cultivate sponsors, donors and ticket buyers; maintains a strong donor base.
- -Develops and implements an annual grant calendar and strategy.
- -Collaborates with the marketing committee to develop and manage the marketing plan.
- Executes the annual marketing plan.
- -Evaluates the efficacy of the marketing and development efforts and adjusts as needed.
GOVERNANCE AND BOARD RELATIONS
- -Communicates effectively with the Board chair on finances, operating and development activities, and significant personnel issues.
- -Plans with Board chair: Board meeting agenda; Board meeting written reports; and communicates Board meeting logistics.
- -Collaborates with the Board DEI committee to develop and implement a DEI plan informed by We See You, White American Theatre’s Principles for Building Anti-Racist Theatre Systems.
- -Provides leadership and expertise to the Board Nominating Committee in recruiting potential Board candidates and overseeing their orientation and training.
- -Attends all Board and Executive Committee meetings and any additional Board or committee meetings as needed.
- -Performs other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors and/or required by the business needs of the organization.
MANAGEMENT and SUPERVISION
- -Recruits, employs, and manages personnel and volunteers.
- -Actively engages and energizes Revel’s community (i.e., volunteers, event committees, alumni, partnering organizations, and funders).
- -A BA or master’s level degree is preferred (Arts Management, Nonprofit Management). Equivalent work experience is also highly valued.
- -At least three years’ experience as a manager in a non-profit organization. Experience managing an arts organization is preferred.
- -Demonstrated ability to independently manage projects related to organizational development, marketing, external relations and fundraising.
- -Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and development of anti-racist organizational culture.
- -Candidates with minimal non-profit experience will be considered based on past management experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- -Excellent interpersonal skills.
- -Excellent speaking and presentation skills as well as the ability to communicate effectively with diverse stakeholders (donors, board members, volunteers including chorus members, sponsors, staff, audience members) both individually and in groups.
- -Excellent writing skills. Successful grant writing experience preferred.
- -Flexibility and willingness to adapt to changing priorities.
- -Ability to manage projects and meet deadlines.
- -Training and skill in application of social justice principles and cultural competency in the nonprofit sector.
- -Strong financial management and reporting skills and understanding of non-profit financial statements, budgeting, etc.
- -Experience in fundraising, especially donor development and cultivation.
- -Sense of humor!
To apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.